Politics

Shocking video shows why Scots should water their real Christmas tree this year

A shocking video reveals the devastating impact real Christmas trees can have on a home if they are not properly watered.

The National Fire Protection Association in America posted the one minute clip showing how quickly the fire from a dry tree can spread.

A spark ignites the fire inside the tree before flames and smoke fill the room in just over 10 seconds.

By around the 40 second mark, the tree completely smoulders amid the flames while toxic fumes fill the mock living room space.



Dry Christmas tree on fire
Dry Christmas trees can catch fire very quickly

Experts go on to compare this with a tree that is watered daily – and flames struggle to reach the same intensity in the same space of time.

The NFPA say that US fire crews responded to an average of 160 home fires that were started by Christmas trees on average per year.

These incidents averaged in two deaths, 12 injuries and around $10 million (around £7.5 million) in property damage.

Scottish Fire and Rescue say that a burning tree can rapidly fill a room with fire and deadly gases if it is not tended to properly.

Christmas trees can absorb around one to two litres of water per day. Experts at B&Q suggest that a minimum of 500ml of water should be added on a daily basis.

Scots are also recommended not place the real tree close to a heat source – including the likes of fireplaces, heat vents or candles.

The heat from these sources will result in the tree drying out, which could result in quicker ignition by heat, flame or sparks.

A spokesperson for Scottish Fire and Rescue said: “Christmas is a special time for celebration and should not end in tragedy because of the extra hazards that are present at this time of year.”

Don’t miss the latest news from around Scotland and beyond – Sign up to our daily newsletter here.




Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

close