Sports

Man City’s Joao Cancelo shows bruised face after ‘assault by four cowards’

Manchester City star Joao Cancelo has shared images of facial injuries he says were sustained in an alleged assault in which he claims he also had his jewellery stolen.

The full-back has starred for City this season, scoring three goals and notching seven assists to help them storm to the top of the Premier League table.

But he took to social media on Thursday to say that he had been attacked and left with a nasty cut over his right eye.

Cancelo posted a picture of himself to his Instagram story, claiming to his followers that he had been attacked by “four cowards” after attempting to resist their attempts to take his jewellery.



Joao Cancelo has revealed he was attacked on Thursday
Joao Cancelo told his Instagram followers he was attacked on Thursday

“Unfortunately today I was assaulted by four cowards who hurt me and tried to hurt my family,” the Portuguese star wrote.

“When you show resistance this is what happens. They managed to take all my jewlry [sic] and leave me with my face with this state.

“I don’t know how there are people with such meanness. The most important thing for me is my family and luckily they are all ok.

“After so many obstacles in my life, this is just one more that I will overcome. Firm and strong, like always.”

The message was the caption to a picture the 27-year-old had taken of himself, with a gash over his right eye and what appeared to be blood on his chin.



Cancelo has starred for Manchester City this season
Cancelo has starred for Manchester City this season



Want to be on the ball with all of the latest football news?

Well then sign up for the brilliant Daily Star football email newsletter!

From the latest transfer news to the agenda-setting stories, get it all in your email inbox – don’t miss a thing.

How do you sign up?

It only takes a matter of seconds.

Simply type your email address into the box at the top of this article and hit ‘subscribe’.

And that’s it, job done. You’ll receive an email with all of the top news stories every single morning.

You can find out more information on our email newsletter on this link here.

In a club statement shared on Twitter, City revealed that Cancelo was assisting Greater Manchester Police with their enquires into the incident.

“We are shocked and appalled that Joao Cancelo and his family were subjected to a burglary at their home this evening during which Joao was also assaulted,” the statement read.

“Joao and his family are being supported by the Club and he is helping the police with their enquiries as they investigate this very serious matter.”

Greater Manchester Police have been approached for comment.




Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.