Watch Che & Dave cook this entrée in episode seven of MKR on 7plus.
Prep time: 20 mins Cook time: 40 mins Serves: 4
Watch My Kitchen Rules on Channel 7 and stream it for free on 7plus >>
- Thai basil leaves, sliced red chilli and kaffir lime leaves, to garnish
- Lime cheeks, to serve
THAI CHILLI PASTE
- 3 long red chillies, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3cm piece fresh ginger, chopped
- 2 large eschallots, chopped
- 1 stick lemongrass (white part only), chopped
- 6 kaffir lime leaves, shredded
- 1 tbs shrimp paste
TOM YUM SOUP
- 2 tsp peanut oil
- 1 quantity of Thai Chilli Paste
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 270ml can coconut cream
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- 1 tbs fish sauce
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 12 button mushrooms
- 12 medium prawns, peeled, deveined
- 300g skinless snapper fillet, cut into 12 pieces
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- juice of 1 large lime
- To make Thai chilli paste, process all ingredients to form a smooth paste.
- To make Tom Yum soup, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add Thai chilli paste and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in stock, coconut cream, sugar and sauces. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Strain soup into a clean saucepan and return to a simmer. Add mushrooms and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in prawns, fish, tomatoes and lime juice. Return to a simmer.
- Remove from heat and stand, covered, for 5 minutes to allow residual heat to cook fish.
- Divide soup among serving bowls. Garnish with Thai basil leaves, sliced red chilli and kaffir lime leaves. Serve with lime cheeks.